Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Columbus reaches India

I have never heard of Doctor Who before, but this show seems to be interesting and worth watching. Who knows? Perhaps I will watch it soon :)

Since there are many historic events whose change would have a significant effect on the future of the world or/and the future of my country, choosing one moment in history that I would like to change was quite a difficult task for me. Finally, I decided to change the outcome of  Christopher Columbus's voyage of 1492, during which he discovered America.

Now, we are back in the year 1492. Together with Vasco da Gamma, I join Columbus's crew of the Santa Maria ship. Why Vasco da Gamma? Because he was an explorer and he succeeded in reaching India later on. I think that he was a right person who would be able to show Columbus his mistake and persuade him to change the direction of the ship. And... as Vasco da Gamma was the first man who managed to sail directly from Europe to India, I would not like to deprive him of his success. Therefore, in my story, Vasco da Gamma gives Columbus some suggestions, and Columbus admits his mistake and changes direction. After a few months spent on board ship, they arrive at India (this is their common success) and name the people of that land Indians.

What are my motives for changing this event? I would like to make history more logical and avoid a question why the indigenous people of America are called Indians today?


1 comment:

  1. Amazing :D I was about to write about it but finally changed the topic. I fully agree : )

    ReplyDelete