Monday, February 20, 2012

Are foreign languages worth learning?

What would my life be without knowing any foreign language? I can't imagine this. I have always liked learning foreign languages, looking up some interesting words in dictionaries, or listening to people speaking foreign languages. This gives me a lot of pleasure and satisfaction. Besides, the knowledge of foreign languages opens doors – it helps find a good job, communicate with people, make friends around the world, travel and get to know another culture.

With reference to an article in the Observer I'd like to say that people who don't want to, don't even try to learn a foreign language and require that other people know and speak their language show ignorance, especially when they happen to stay abroad. The fact that English is nowadays extremely popular around the world doesn't exempt its native speakers from learning foreign languages. I think that the British government made a grave mistake by removing foreign languages from the school curriculum after the age of 14. Don't deceive ourselves! Precious few young people will decide to learn a foreign language on their own if it's not compulsory.

I totally agree with the author of the article – not knowing any foreign language limits our possibilities, the possibilities for better, high-ranking jobs, the possibilities for getting to know other cultures and customs, the possibilities for better understanding of other people. If we know only one language which is our native language, we are, in a way, trapped in one world, one reality, one culture and we seem to be closed to new experiences. In this way, we don’t self-develop ourselves, broaden our horizons and knowledge about the world. What makes the world beautiful is not homogeneity but diversity, a diversity of languages, cultures, religions…

It is commonly known that the French are not very keen on learning foreign languages. They want other people to speak French and they usually feel hurt if somebody tries to communicate with them in English or any other foreign language while staying in their country. Last summer I spent 2 weeks in France. It was a kind of a Polish-French exchange with a 20-year-old history. Although some of the French I met have taken part in this exchange for 5, 10 or even more years, they haven’t learnt Polish yet. Why do only we (Poles) have to know French? Why don’t the French learn Polish???

10 comments:

  1. I love literature so much :) That's why we can't 'break up' :D I'm curious about those French people. Are they really reluctant to learn any foreign languages?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can't generalize but... when I was in France, whenever I tried to speak English (while doing the shopping or eating in a restaurant) people always replied: "Je ne parle pas anglais". And, what might be surprising, they were young people.

      Delete
  2. yep, the French are definitely the good example of not being willing to learn foreign lgs :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that even in Poland there are people who would refuse to speak for example in English with foreigners, because of the assumption that they should try to speak Polish while being in Poland.

      Delete
  3. Very true about the French! That's why I was happy to find out that my students of French learning English are very eager to do so. I was really surprised. I thought their attitude would be similar to that of the French, but I was wrong. They are well aware of all those things you have written about so convincingly - new opportunities, openness and self-development. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your remarks and especially about the French. They are known for their inborn reluctance to use English and I have to admit that while on the one hand they are building walls between them and people of other nationalities assuming such an attitude, on the other hand they have come to preserve their mother tongue so well that many of us Polish could learn from them ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. looking up some interesting words in dictionaries? I would love to have such a salutary hobby. Unfortunately, I'm just too lazy :))))

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your story about the French and I believe that their attitude will change eventually. I also understand your interest of learning languages. It's good to do follow your passion in life.

    ReplyDelete